See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Rabies Vaccination

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 jenniferstone

jenniferstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 10:24 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

We are planning our first safari in South Africa for this August and are starting to get our vaccinations. The CDC recommends getting the rabies vaccination and we were wondering how necessary this is and whether most people get it or not. The vaccine is not covered by my insurance and it costs $800 per person. When traveling to South Africa have you gotten the rabies vaccination?

#2 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local time: 03:24 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Personally, no. Normally on safari you are very unlikely to come into contact with a rabid animal.

I think sometimes it is recommended if you are working, hands on, with wild animals or if you are working in an inner city where there are could be stray animals that could be rabid.
  • jenniferstone likes this

#3 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,631 posts
  • Local time: 11:54 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I gave it to my children but only because I wasn't certain that they'd remember to keep their distance from animals. I've never bothered for myself.

Remember that they don't mean you don't get immediate help if bitten, you will still need urgent medical attention.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#4 jenniferstone

jenniferstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

If the vaccine wasn't so expensive I wouldn't give a second thought to getting it. Even if you do get bitten you still have to get shots after, it only gives you a longer period of time to get emergency help. I feel like the odds of getting bitten are pretty low, but knowing my luck it would happen just because I didn't get the vaccination. Apparently right now there is a shortage of the vaccine and you have to apply to the CDC for it, so we may not even able to get it.

#5 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,770 posts
  • Local time: 12:24 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

the odds are very low

people who want to save money also don't take malaria medication

this is the way the guides talk

malaria risk comes from insect activity which is related to temperature

it is cool when I go in winter, a little bit warmer when you go in spring

to a kruger season guide swee http://www.tangala.co.za and go to the season guide along the top

thornybush is very near africa on foot and some distance away from umkumbe

I am cautious taking medication, using repellant and covering up with long trousers and long sleeve shirt

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 11 January 2013 - 03:08 AM.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#6 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,615 posts
  • Local time: 07:24 AM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

I went to SA with my husband and kids in June 2012. It was all of our first trip to Africa. I don't think we even considered getting the rabies vaccination and we went to a travel clinic that checked CDC recommendations. I thought the recommendation was more like what WildDog said, i.e. only really recommended if you are going to be hands on working with animals. I really wouldn't worry about it and I'm a BIG worrier! We did do malarone though even though it was winter. Our insurance covered it and it was only $5 each for the generic, and the side effects were minor, so it seemed worth it.

#7 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Nope, I've never bothered even when I spent nearly a year in Africa.

I'd be more worried about rabies on a trip somewhere where I'd be visiting cities with lots of stray domestic animals.

#8 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

before I went on my trips, I went to see my doctor who suggested vaccinations cholera,smallpox,tentus etc and malaria piils, but not mention was made of rabies.

the only domestic dogs allowed in nature reserves are the tracking dogs used by the anti poaching team

in practical terms the only health things likely to happen to you are a few minor scratches and possibly sunburn.

so take bandages,anteseptic, sunscreen,a sunhat and cover well with clothes

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#9 armchair bushman

armchair bushman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Local time: 05:24 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

$800 per person!!?? WTH??
It costs almost nothing here in Kenya.

Travel clinics in the states make BANK!

#10 jenniferstone

jenniferstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I really wouldn't worry about it and I'm a BIG worrier!

I'm a big worrier too!

OK, I'm feeling better about us not getting the rabies vaccination.

$800 per person!!?? WTH??
It costs almost nothing here in Kenya.

Travel clinics in the states make BANK!

I know, my husband thinks the cost is ridiculous!

#11 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

If you’re going to be doing anything that involves handling animals then you should have the rabies jab, if you’re not but you are going to be spending anytime in and around rural villages for example then you might well want to have it. However if you’re just going on a regular safari then you needn’t bother.

Having said that in any country where rabies is prevalent NEVER approach an unknown dog, even if it’s the friendliest most benign looking dog in the world if you don’t know who it belongs to keep your distance. Rabies doesn’t turn every dog in to the snarling vicious beast of popular imagination some rabid dogs can remain entirely ‘tame’ and friendly. So even if an unknown dog just licks you, you should seek medical attention though unless the saliva gets in to a cut or scratch you’re not likely to be in serious danger.

Obviously if you’re staying somewhere where someone has a pet dog then you should have nothing to fear.

So don’t bother with the jab just remember to exercise common sense around dogs (or other animals) and you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.

#12 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,421 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Non Africa anecdote... I was bitten by the mangiest looking dog here once in Portugal. Went to the local hospital where they cleaned it up. (The bite wound, not the mangy dog). Would not give me the rabies shot. They said to keep the dog tied up for a week to monitor it for signs and if it did exhibit to come back - it was some stray that we never saw again...
  • twaffle and jenniferstone like this

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#13 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,615 posts
  • Local time: 07:24 AM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

And my non-Africa animal bite story is: My daughter and I were BOTH bitten by a pet rat (not ours - she was watching it for a friend) in the same week! TWO visits to urgent care in one case and Emergency Room in the other - of course this rat couldn't be bothered to bite us during office hours!! We were told that pet rats are highly unlikely to carry rabies so we didn't need treatment for that but we both needed a course of antibiotics. Most expensive pet-sitting experience ever. But we felt it was perhaps karma as my daughter had broken this friend's arm once by kicking a soccer ball at her so hard that the ball broke her arm (Not intentionally of course!). So we figure with all the medical bils, our families are probably about even. ;)
  • twaffle, Anita and jenniferstone like this

#14 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Non Africa anecdote... I was bitten by the mangiest looking dog here once in Portugal. Went to the local hospital where they cleaned it up. (The bite wound, not the mangy dog). Would not give me the rabies shot. They said to keep the dog tied up for a week to monitor it for signs and if it did exhibit to come back - it was some stray that we never saw again...

Well that sounds pretty crazy to me, I don’t how much rabies there is in Portugal but had that dog been rabid you would have been in serious trouble because as soon as you start to experience any symptoms of rabies it’s almost always fatal.

#15 Lion Aid

Lion Aid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Category 1:NGO

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

To all - this just goes to show the level of ignorance about rabies versus the current recommendations. There is NO reason for anyone to receive a prophylactic rabies (pre-exposure) rabies vaccination. This is a complete waste of money. If you should be bitten by any animal you can receive a very highly effective post-exposure series of vaccinations.

See here:

http://www.cdc.gov/r...mendations.html

How many people do you think died of rabies in recent years in the USA where rabies is endemic?

About 2-3 each year, and I know from having worked at the Rabies Section at the USA Centers of Disease Control in Atlanta that virtually all of those are due to bites by rabid bats.

http://www.cdc.gov/r...man_rabies.html

Out of a potentially exposed population of 315 million. How many people die from lightning strikes in the USA? 73 per year

http://news.national..._lightning.html

What is the largest cause of human mortality in the USA from an animal source? Bees.

http://historylist.w...sed-by-animals/

Thus my recommendation in terms of a very costly prophylactic rabies vaccination would be ... spend it instead on a happy vacation. If you should be bitten by an animal, the post-exposure vaccines will completely protect you.
www.lionaid.org

#16 Lion Aid

Lion Aid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Category 1:NGO

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Studies have shown the following:

About 60 percent of all human diseases and 75 percent of all emerging infectious diseases are zoonotic, according to the researchers. Most human infections with zoonoses [animal diseases communicated to humans] come from livestock, including pigs, chickens, cattle, goats, sheep and camels.

Avoid those animals on your safari and you will be fine :)

http://www.livescien...s-hotspots.html
www.lionaid.org

#17 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,859 posts
  • Local time: 09:24 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

I have made the decision to get a rabies vaccine, but certainly not for a South African safari. I mention I got it to to let you know there are places and risks that I believe warrant the expense of this vaccine. Unless you are spending time in caves or an extended stay in villages that may have stray dogs, I would not consider a rabies vaccine for a typical South African safari.
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#18 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,631 posts
  • Local time: 11:54 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

I tend to agree with LionAid about getting the post exposure vaccines in the event of any bites or scratches from an animal. I carry a sharps kit just in case.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#19 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

both reserves where you are going have controlled access via an electric fence , the only entry is by a locked gate controlled by a security guard.

dogs are not allowed in

both places do walking safaris , for safety the guide carries a rifle.

in the very,very unlikely of any diseased domestic animals coming around they will be delt with.

as stated before your realistic risks are scatches and sunburn , so wear long clothing trousers and long sleeved shirt ,take sunscreen, bandaids and anteseptic.

looking at the kruger season guide from tangala ,it is getting a bit warmer in august , so you mighy like to take swimmers

have a good trip ,it is desireable to be interested in your health ,but no one here thinks that you have anything like a realistic risk of contacting rabies

#20 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,487 posts
  • Local time: 04:24 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Very rare to get rabies. And only happens to people who try and handle sick dogs in rural areas. Last year there was an outbreak and 4 people died in KZN. Death by rabies is the worst possible way to die.

There is no need for the vaccination if you are a traveller. I also don't understand why the vaccination is so expensive.
  • JohnR and jenniferstone like this

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.