Game Warden

What camps in what countries for Cheetahs.

32 posts in this topic

Actually they found recently that cheetahs are more genetically diverse than previously thought.

Here a few links on cheetah genetics, disease and reproduction (all related to genetics):

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/endangered-species/endangered-cheetah-info10.htm

http://chickenoreggblog.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/cheetah-genetic-diversity-revisited/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110812153221.htm

I think human encroachment, prey depletion, persecution by farmers and poaching for skins are a much bigger threat to cheetahs than their own genetics.

I've seen cheetah on each of my three trips to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier park (formerly the Kalahari Gemsbok) on the South African side.

16 in three days on the Ndutu plains in the Serengeti with www.maasaiwanderings.com

In Kruger area between Orpen and Satara rest camps is the best, though the far north, between Shingwedzi and Pund Maria is also good. There is a resident male, quite relaxed, who patrols the dirt road between Numbi and Phabeni gates in the far south of the park and one or two other individuals that hang around the Doispane Road.

Thanks for the links Eglio and nice to know you've seen some in Kruger, Tony Park!

For a more "accessible" Cheetah viewing, I would suggest the Shishangeni Lodge in Mpanamana Concession, Southern Kruger. I saw 4 Cheetahs two times in two days staying there, and I could see them hunting and feeding on a young impala (quickly stolen by hyenas). I think the enviroment there is very suitable for Cheetahs, because there are large open plains and large herds of impalas and wildebeests. In my opinion the Shishangeni area, due to its large amount of ungulates (with a resident herd of buffaloes which counts 1000 individuals),rhinos and cheetahs is much better than the Timbavati or the Sabi Sands.

Another special place where I saw Cheetahs is Hobatere Lodge on western Etosha border; I saw two Cheetahs (and two Lions) in only one game drive there. This is a truly "magic" place, the number of animals is incredibly high, and the game drives are very professionals as the lodge owner and main guide is a famous namibian ornithologist.

Let me add my vote to Ndutu to those already cast for this most productive region. About 30 sightings of 18 cheetah in 5 nights in March.

For selfish reasons, part of me wants to write, "Definitely not Ndutu. Nothing going on. In fact, everybody steer clear. Nothing to see there, folks. Cross it off your list."

3 people like this

~ @@Game Warden

I've seen several cheetah on each of five visits to Masai Mara.

I've seen cheetah twice in Samburu.

Tom K.